Two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova will not play tennis for at least three months after surgery following a knife attack at her home.
Kvitova, 26, said she was "fortunate to be alive" following a "burglary" incident on Tuesday when she struggled with an intruder.
Surgeons spent almost four hours repairing tendons and nerves on her left hand - her playing hand.
Her spokesman said that considering the damage, "the surgery went well".
"The injury is serious, but the surgeon says Petra is young and healthy and there is no reason why she can't resume tennis," publicist KarelTejkal told the AFP news agency.
According to her manager Katie Spellman, Kvitova will wear a cast for six to eight weeks and cannot bear weight on the injured hand for at least three months.
That rules her out of the Australian Open next month, which is the first Grand Slam tournament of the 2017 tennis season.
It is understood she allowed someone posing as a utilities man access to her apartment in Prostejov, Czech Republic, and while defending herself in a struggle, suffered the injuries to her hand. The intruder is believed to have then run away and is being sought by police.
Earlier on Tuesday, Kvitova said she was "shaken", adding the injury was "severe" but that she would "fight this".
Tejkal added: "It was a random crime, nobody was going to attack or rob her as Petra Kvitova."
Kvitova is ranked 11 in the world and has won a career total of 19 titles, including Grand Slam victories at Wimbledon in 2011 and 2014.
Source: Radio Television Brunei